Saturday 19 April 2014

A Lesson Sorely Learned.

Very recently, I hit a low point, money wise. A very low point. Now, this has happened several times while I’ve been travelling, but, I guess this happened just one time too many and it made me feel a bit tired. I had moved to Melbourne only three weeks before that and between booking my ticket home and the jigs and the reels I had nooo cash, I think I got down to about $50 before my sister sent me money through Western Union, thanks bejaysus!

Anyway, my hostel was a story unto itself – I couldn’t quite place if it reminded me more of ‘This is England’ or ‘The Snapper’ but, let me tell you, it was old school. Definitely a bit dingy, kind of cosy in a run-down way, if ya get me? It was a grand place, met some nice people, lived off the free jumbo packet of weetabix in the ‘Free Food Box’ for a few days and sure I was grand! I had been looking up jobs, anything at all on Gumtree and luckily I got a few hours in this cafe in Fitzroy (great place!!! – grungy, alternative, lots of ‘health’ food, and just a nice hint of pretension) which kept me ticking over but it wasn’t enough really. So anyway, I got a call from the very lovely Kim, who offered me a job up in Gunnedah.

Now, for those of you who are not familiar with Gunnedah, NSW, like nearly everyone, Gunnedah is about 6 hours inland (by train) from Sydney. It took me about 19hours (approx. 1100km) to get there from Melbourne, but I said, what the hell, I’ll keep my head down for a little bit and maybe save a little. Gunnedah is a small town, good bit of mining, so probably higher men to women ratio, a few pubs etc. All, in all, a nice town.

I was quite happy in my own little room, double bed, little sink – quite different from the hostel life! So, one day in my room I was listening to my ipod when the infamous ‘Bug-a-Boo’ by Destiny’s Child came on. Compelled by the rhythm, I of course, burst it out with all the energy I could possibly muster from within, in the privacy of my own room. Listened to a few more of Destiny’s Child’s ‘classics’, and with all the vigour and violence of any Beyonce-influenced-gobshite, gave it all I had.

Not so long later, I was lying on my bed, sending a few messages, when I got up to get changed. Now, all the while I could hear some voices but paid no heed to it. My boss, who has just turned 66, was giving out to them for drinking on the balcony area.

Next moment, I heard a knock on the door – ‘One Second!’ and I put my tshirt back on. My boss was standing there and kindly explained to me that I had an audience looking in the window as I was about to get undressed.

Oh jesus.

‘Right.’

He laughed, I didn’t. First thing I thought – did they also see my Beyonce inspired dance show. Awh lads, the mortification. I struggled to fall asleep that night I was so embarrassed thinking about it.

Moral of the story. Next time ya decide that the rhythm has taken hold. Stop. Check to see if there’s any miners/road workers sitting outside your window and for the love of god, always, CLOSE YOUR CURTAINS!!

I’m an idiot. Hopefully somebody else might learn from my mistakes – if anyone wants me, I’ll be hiding in my room dancing to’80s/’90s power-ballads in secrecy, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment