Monday 28 April 2014

Brisbane to Sydney (Cycle) Part Two

Kempsey to Telegraph point. (30km).

(Picked up telegraph point to Port Macquarie 20kms).

I’d only gone about 30km at this stage (just past telegraph point) but there was no town near and I got another flat on the back wheel. (I attempted to change it myself, got frustrated and sat down. Had to jump up quick smart though because the tar was melting from the sun. It was only a few days later that I realised it had melted through my shorts and I had a very small piece of the Pacific Highway stuck to my arse! Disaster.)
So this guy stopped and kindly went out of his way to bring me to Port Macquarie. For those who are unfamiliar with Australia, basically, the country shuts down at one o’clock on Saturday and reopens on Monday (I’m obviously not talking about Sydney/Melbourne/etc). So I had just missed the bike shops.

Checked into a hostel, the $29 did sting a little I must admit. I cheered up when the Manager came into the room, handed me a beer ‘cause apparently I looked like I needed one!

Was so tired the next day I paid for another night and slept through for hours.

Day 8/9 (ish!!)
Port Macquarie to Taree (80kms).

After dark, I snuck into a caravan site. First, I unhooked the saddle bags from the bike and I slowly slid down the dirt hill with them. I climbed back up the hill. Next, very carefully with the bike in my hands (because it was a rough hill) I slide down again – I felt a bit like mission impossible with all the slippin’ and slidin’ and creepin’. It started to drizzle so I lay under a caravan’s tarp. I’d say I barely got 4 hours of broken sleep that night. I woke up at about half 4 and next thing I heard “You ‘right mate?” “ehhh... yeah... just... had a quick sleep” (thinking PLEASE don’t get mad!!) “Right........... do ya want a cuppa so?” True Aussie style!

Day 9 – Taree to Karuah. (117km).

Checked into a campsite – I just NEEDED to be in a place where I could actually shower (rather than public toilet showers) and hopefully go to bed early and sleep! Slept on the couch in the campsite – felt like luxury!

Day 10 – Karuah to The Entrance (111km).

About 20km from the Entrance I got a flat. Nothing was around. Pumped it up at the petrol station and chanced it. Only got to Budgewoi and realised the back tyre had no chance. Cheapest room in Budgewoi was $100. I had less than $250 in my bank account so ehh, that was a no thanks! It had been raining on and off and I didn’t want to stay outside.

So I went around the corner, sat down on the kerb and burst into tears. I was stressed. A few minutes later, this Australian guy and his Welsh nephew came over, sat down and had a chat with me. After talking for a short while, he stood up and said, “So are you gonna come get this sorted or are we going to sit here and cry?’”I told him that actually, I was just planning on sitting there and crying. They got me sorted.

Got a hostel at the entrance that night and it was lovely - ate loads, watched crappy reality TV about a stage-mother and her massive-fake boobs. In my element.

Day 11/12 – The Entrance to Sydney (95km minus 40km from a lift).

Bike hadn’t been properly fixed the night before so I needed to get onto that. There were no bike shops open. This is where I met Carl. True Australian bloke, drove Harleys, drank beer, and had the nicest dog ever!!
He went completely out of his way to help me (even though he was busy getting ready for his daughters wedding the next day) and gave me two old pennies from 1964 for good luck, obviously I still have them in my purse!

He said that he’d give me a lift back to the main road because I might get lost from their home. Although I wanted to do it all myself, at this stage I was fairly fragile, so I agreed.
He actually ended up giving me a lift the full 40km to the ferry. I was too tired to argue and he was a good laugh.

Got off the ferry at SUMMER BAY!! Not a Braxton brother in sight unfortunately but I was still happy.

I eventually got to Sydney, it quite cool cycling over the Harbour Bridge, got myself a ‘Dirty Granny’ Cider at the Opera House, and that was that.

Spent about 11 or 12 days cycling, four nights outdoors, two free couches, one campsite couch, one creepy pub-hotel room, the rest in hostels, and way too many punctures (I think I got about 5 free repairs), saw some amazing sights, avoided so much roadkill and cycled 1000km. It is most-definitely nothing of sporting or fitness achievement, I know that!!!! It didn’t work out exactly as I envisioned but it was an adventure nonetheless, with more stories than even I could get through. The one thing that struck me more than anything was the generosity and kindness that I received. Australians are sound. I’ll never get over how many people did so much for me!! Would I do it again? Eh... No. I’ve learned my lesson now but, it was fun all the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment