Friday 11 April 2014

One good decision.


This is a very simple story, of a very good decision that ended up having a massively positive impact on my life =)

Just to provide a bit of a context, I had been away from home for about 10 months at this stage and I had been living in the amazing, Byron Bay, NSW, for about 2 or 3 months. Adored the place and the people of course, the parties, the beaches, the lighthouse, even loved my jobs (two part time, one as a 'Falafel girl', basically just giving people free falafels (sure who doesn't love free food), and the other as a cleaner with a bit of reception work at a Guesthouse - I was having a great time altogether sure!

So one day, I decided to do the sensible thing and gather up all the various bits of information I needed to lodge my tax return (It had been a few months in the waiting, shall I put it that way!). Quite happy with myself and determined to get this done, I was walking down the road to get to an internet cafe to go about my business when in the distance I could see this small group, all dressed-up. They were dressed up like fairies, jumping about and generally having a gay oul' time. I thought to myself, "You wouldn't need to pay me to do that!!" and as I approached, unexpectedly enough (but not altogether shocking - it was Byron like) I got the opportunity to do so! Without hesitation, the taxes and good intentions were cast aside with an exclaimation of, " Ehhhh yeah!!! Where are the wings?!!".

Shelley, who is designer and part owner of Fairylove (the beautiful costumes are well worth checking out!!), was trying to organise a 'fairyraid' flash mob to raise awareness for her good cause. She was (and still is, to the best of my knowledge?!) raising money to bring workshops to Aboriginal children and generally spread a bit of joy!

So we spent a while that day recruiting a few more fairies (you can thank me for the half naked German lads, mwaahaha! Like a predator - only joking! =))and going around to shops to raise some money and awareness. Dancing was done, lots of laughter, a few bewildered bystanders and glitter wishes were spread!

At the end of the day, Shelley suggested that if I wanted to go to the Woodford Festival to work for her stall she would pay for the ticket.

Now, I was very happy where I was and I didn't want to just up and leave work - both bosses had been sooo good to me. I mean hey, I know I made giving out free food look like a skilful job, but I was sure they'd find a replacement, somehow... :P :P But it was the job at the Guesthouse I felt badly about because my boss had been good to me and she had just left to go overseas for a while! So I didn't really know what to do and I didn't have much time to decide.

On top of that, I had just bought myself a little cheap tent, moved to a campsite hostel WHEN my boss' friend (who had also been very kind to me) asked me if I would like to housesit her MINTTTT house for seven weeks while she was away. I agreed, 'cause eh, it was like a mansion to me, it was so beautiful - balcony overlooking the beach and everything!!

So yeah, I had a lot of really good offers going at that time, and I knew I was really lucky but I was still unsure what to do (indecisive Libran - it's a curse!!).

Anyway, after a chat with an absolutely deadly couple who told me that Woodford would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and that it would be so amazing - I decided to go for it!

That, for me, also marked the end of my time in Byron Bay.

But anyway.... The Woodford 2014 week holds it's own stories - more than I'd ever be able to adequately describe, but, I'll give some of them a go in the next few posts!

As it turned out, that couple couldn't have been more right, it was one of the most utterly amazing, fun, inspiring and happy weeks of my life!! Talk about a great start to 2014!! :)

Ultimately, one good decision, saying Yes, to going up to this festival, started me off on quite the little adventure! I could have done the safe thing but, instead I gave up the two jobs, the beautiful home, the sense of being comfortable in a place where I was surrounded by friends and generally brilliant folk.... to go be a fairy at a festival and live in a tent! And I'm grand for it too!

Now, here's a few pictures of the fairyraid to cap it off! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment