Monday 28 April 2014

Brisbane to Sydney (Cycle) Part One


When I got to Brisbane at the start of January I was at a bit of a loose end, I had two weeks before I was due to go to Sydney and I knew I had no interest in spending it in Brisbane

I had been in Brisbane a few days when, at about 11pm, Tuesday the 7th of January, the idea struck me – why don’t I cycle to Sydney! It might seem like a bit of an odd notion but, I think I the idea had been planted in my head the year before - while I was working in a remote Roadhouse in the Northern Territory. We would get the odd cyclist passing through, and although I did think they were mad, it also seemed pretty cool!
So anyway, yeah, I spent a day or two looking around bike shops. I couldn’t quite afford a proper road-bike but I still got quite the beaut, on sale, and pannier-bags.

Now, while I was in Brisbane, I had finally gotten the chance to catch up with my beloved pal, Eimear. It was so good to see her but she warned me not to just suddenly up and leave with some mad notion. I promised her I wouldn’t. Oh well.

After I bought the bike, I rang her and told her the new plan of action. Her reply? ‘Oh thank god, I thought you were going to tell me about some crazy notion’. Quite pleased with that, I hung up, although it did make me question Eimear’s definition of a crazy notion? The next day she came over and had decided that cycling over 900km on my own, in Australia, actually wasn’t my most sensible idea yet.

Leaving behind a lot of my stuff and despite all the doubt from the people in my hostel, I set off on Saturday Morning. No map (sure what would I be doin’ with a map, can’t read them anyway), no particular sense of direction, not particularly fit and absolutely no biking knowledge (unless knowing how to peddle counts).



So on to the Gold Coast (Surfer’s Paradise), QLD. (85kms).
The first day, I used Google Maps, what a thorn in my side – I just couldn’t be doin’ with all the unnecessary directions on it. After about a million wrong turns I eventually made it to the Gold Coast. I was given four no’s at hostels before I got a place; was beginning to feel a bit like Mary and the donkey in Bethlehem (on a slightly less noble mission, perhaps).

The next day I set off early to Brunswick Heads, NSW, 93km away.
The second morning was where my relationship with Google Maps pretty much ended and I relied, mostly, on locals for directions from there. Really nice cycle in the countryside, PLASTERED in suncream, pannier-bags were still feeling a bit heavy unfortunately though. Some seriously impressively vast farms and countryside on the way.

A bit outside of Byron, I got a puncture, on the back wheel and had to take a lift, the 11km, from someone into town, nothing I could do! Jettisoned a load of my stuff there – still held onto my tutu though. I had my priorities straight. The journey from Byron to Ballina was beautiful, took the ocean road for some of it and saw some beautiful coastal views. The countryside was nice too. Nothing but bush, road and the burning hot sun! The noise of the bush is insanely loud, deafening! Got to Brunswick Heads safe and sound and slept under the stars by the river. Of course I didn’t actually get that much sleep being outdoors! Saw the sunrise as the fishermen set out their little boats. Showered and washed my clothes in the public bathrooms and used the bicycle handlebars as my drying rack (that set the trend for a lot of the trip).

Day 3 - Onto Evans Head. (88km).
When I got to Evans Heads beach, I hopped straight into the ocean, it was class, gorgeous beach!

Made my way up to the look-out point and watched the sunset eating dinner from a tin.

Stayed with this old couple. I had been nervous about staying outside – still no tent – and they let me stay on their couch. Declan, the husband (a man with a liking for collecting knick-knacks) decided he would name his coal-black-aboriginal-statue, after me, and wanted to know if I’d jig. I didn’t.

Day 4 Evans Head to Yamba. (67km).
Loved the journey to Yamba, big farms with wide stretching crops, kangaroos galore, rivers, bushland.

Yamba is gorgeous. The back/shoulders/hands/thighs/arse were feelin’ it at this stage. Gorgeous sunset again. The tanlines were ridiculous, not even that I was particularly golden but, I was DISTINCTLY paler where my shorts and tshirt covered me. Never qualify as an Australian “beach babe”.

Destroyed by mozzie and sandfly bites last night – they nearly broke me. I must have got about 150 bites and a lot of them turned to whelts. Yock. Between all the bruises and the whelts on my legs, I looked like I’d developed feckin’ lepracy. Slept under the stars again last night. I didn’t get the best sleep, just a few hours again. Woke at ten to 4 so got to watch the sunrise on the beach which was cool.

Day 5 Yamba to Grafton (64km).

In Grafton ended up staying in this REALLY creepy pub room, jaysus I honestly thought Damien from the Shining might appear at any moment!

Bought a mosquito net while I was there.

Day 6 Grafton onto Urunga. (116km).
It was hot. Very hot. Had to wrap my sarong around my arms for fear of burning. Wonderful sunset and sunrise, slept outside at this beachy area.



Day 7 Urunga to Kemsey. (85km).
Kemsey stayed in this randomer's house. When I woke up Saturday morning the tyre had gone flat?? Went out a couple of kms to get it pumped up at a petrol station – it was a no go though and had a very kind rescue and repair.


No comments:

Post a Comment